Parental supervision is recommended
Make no-fuss pebble pets for kids that you can carry in your pocket. They don't shed and don't require feeding. Just keep them away from water - they'll sink immediately if dropped!
What you'll need:
- Smooth stones
- Fine felt-tip pens
- Embroidery thread
- Thin white paint
- Paints in a variety of colours
- Craft varnish
How to make it:
- Decide what kind of animal or insect you are going to make.
- Wash and dry stones.
- Paint them white and let them dry.
- Paint the background colour and let it dry.
- Paint main body markings and details (like stripes on a cat or spots on a lady bug).
- Draw small details like face and whiskers with a felt-tip pen and let dry.
- Paint with varnish.
- Glue thread for tails or pom-pom for a bunny tail.
Gather together smooth stones of different sizes to make appealing groups of animals and insects. A coat of gloss varnish will help protect the painted stones and make them shine.
For more pebble and rock activities, read Rockies and how one reader makes rocks fun.