Personalized Salt Dough Canoe
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
This fun craft can be made into a magnet or a pin. It also makes a great addition to a wooden picture frame--just glue it in place!
What you'll need:
- ½ cup salt
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup water
- 1 toothpick
- Acrylic paint: brown and tan
- Small alphabet beads
- Magnet or pin back (optional)
- White craft glue (if making pin or magnet)
How to make it:
- Mix together the salt, flour and water in a bowl. If dough feels sticky, add flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it is easy to work with the dough. Be careful not to let it dry out or your project will form cracks.
- Take a piece of dough in your hand and roll it into a ball. (See photo.)
- Once smooth, shape it into a canoe shape (think banana) and place it on a cookie sheet. Press down gently so that the dough gets flat on the back (the part touching the cookie sheet).
- Take a very small piece of dough and form the paddle for the oar, press it against the side of the canoe.
- Break the toothpick in half and poke the pointed end into the oar. (See photo.)
- Bake the salt dough in a 250 F oven for 1.5 – 2.5 hours, or until dough is completely dry.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Paint the oar's paddle and toothpick with brown paint. (See photo.)
- Paint the canoe with tan paint. Let dry. (See photo.)
- Glue alphabet beads onto the canoe and let dry completely. You can personalize it with your name or just write out the word "CAMP" or "FISH". (See photo.)
- Once the beads are in place and the glue has dried, you can add a pin back of magnet using white craft glue.
- Use any color to paint the canoe, maybe your camp's colors!
- If you don't have beads, simply write your name with a black permanent marker or use a toothpick to write your name in the dough before you bake it then paint in the lines after it is baked.
- Salt dough does not store very well but can be kept for a couple of days in a tightly covered container. You can make very small batches; the formula is 1 part salt, 1 part water and 2 parts flour.