Personalize your school binder
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 7 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
As your kids get older they will start carrying a binder to hold all their homework and assignments. They can make their binder into a fun keepsake from summer with their friends, time at camp, or from the previous school year.
What you'll need:
- 3 ring binder with clear inserts
- 2 sheets purple construction paper
- 1 sheet pink construction paper
- 1 sheet white construction paper
- Clear tape
- Photos or printouts of online photos
- Scrapbook phrase stickers
- Black fine tip marker
- Stickers (stars, hearts, flowers, sports, etc)
- Old magazines
- Glue stick
How to make it:
- Remove any labels and advertisement inserts from binder.
- Insert a piece of construction paper and figure out how much more you will need in addition to the one piece, to fill the width. Cut enough off of the second piece of construction paper and tape it to the first, making one large sheet.
- Insert again, this time making note of the height. Trim excess so that construction paper fits nicely inside the insert. Remove from clear insert.
- Repeat this process for the binding insert as well, using second sheet of construction paper, trimming where needed. Remove from clear insert.
- Cut letters from an old magazine to spell out child’s name.
- Glue letters to a piece of pink construction paper, spelling out child’s name.
- Trim pink construction paper into a rectangle.
- Glue pink rectangle to a white sheet of paper and trim around that, leaving a white border around the pink paper.
- Glue the name tag you just created to the top of the purple construction paper, angled and offset in the corner.
- Cut out photographs or print outs of photographs and trim as desired.
- Position photos on the purple construction paper until you have the desired design.
- Glue photos in place using glue stick.
- Use scrapbook phrase stickers and a fine point marker to identify and accent photos.
- Add accent stickers such as hearts, flowers and stars to fill in empty areas.
- Decorate purple construction paper strip for binding with stickers and phrase stickers. (See photo.)
- Insert both pieces into their proper slots.
- Preserve your actual photos by using print out from your online photos or by scanning them into your computer.
- Use fun scrapbook phrase stickers to identify photos such as “best friends forever” and other great phrases. These can be found in the scrapbook aisle or your local craft supply store.
- Always save extra stickers for future projects.