Plant a Tree for Me T-Shirt
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Teach kids the importance of our natural resources and make a fun wearable t-shirt at the same time. As a society we continue to learn about the significance of planting trees, including the air that they provide and the homes they offer to animals.
What you'll need:
- White t-shirt
- Fabric paint: brown, pink, yellow and 4-5 shades of green
- Small leaf foam stamp
- Medium paintbrush
- Small paintbrush
- Alphabet foam stamps
- Squeezable silver glitter 3D fabric paint
How to make it:
- Insert cardboard into t-shirt and place on a flat surface.
- Position letters on t-shirt (spelling out “Plant a Tree for Me”) before adding paint to make sure you have them where you want them.
- One at a time, paint alphabet stamps liberally with dark green paint and gently yet firmly press onto t-shirt. Lift straight up in the air to remove.
- Use a paintbrush to paint the trunk of the tree onto the t-shirt.
- Use different shades of green paint to add leaves all over the top of the tree.
- Use the small paintbrush to add two baby trees, one on each side of the large tree. Use the same paintbrush with green paint to add a few leaves to each baby tree.
- Use the handle end of the medium paintbrush to dot on pink flowers with yellow centers.
- Use the small paintbrush to add stems of the flowers and grass.
- Carefully outline the letters with squeezable 3D paint.
- T-shirt should be allowed to dry for 24 hours.
- If you don’t have a leaf shaped stamp, use an old household sponge and cut into a simple leaf shape.
- If you don’t have fabric paints you can use acrylic craft paint mixed with textile medium. Find textile medium at your local craft supply store and follow the instructions on the bottle.
- Make this t-shirt and then have your child wear it and help them plant a small tree in your yard.