Activity of the Month
Summer "Sweets" Shoppe
Age: 3 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Looking for a great backyard or indoor activity to entertain a bunch of kids this summer? Encourage your child and her/his friends to get creative and build an at-home summer "sweets" store using PLAY-DOH product!
Get going by covering your child's play table with a colorful plastic tablecloth, then have your child and her/his friends create their shop sign out of blank cardboard to place at the front of their table.
When the store is set up, have kids craft some wonderful "goodies" to offer to customers. Bring out multiple cans of colored PLAY-DOH product and let the children start assembling miniature imaginative "treats" in the shapes of lollipops, cookies, and cakes. Place finished items on small plastic or paper plates for fun.
Once the shoppe is fully stocked, kids can invite friends and family to peruse the one of a kind "sweets" in the store! Everyone will love seeing what your child and her/his friends have created.
If your kids need some ideas for crafting products for their shop, check out the PLAY-DOH "recipes" below for recreating the cute "cupcake" and beautiful "blueberry pie" seen in the photo.
Note to parents:
PLAY-DOH product is fun to play with, but should not be eaten.
PLAY-DOH product contains wheat and can cause a reaction when handled by allergic children.
What you'll need:
For the "cupcake":
- PLAY-DOH product in pink, white, red, blue, purple, orange
For the "blueberry pie":
- PLAY-DOH product in tan, purple, and white
How to make it:
"Cupcake" (instructions brought to you by PLAY-DOH brand)
- Roll a ball, and flatten two ends to build the make-believe cake. (See photo.)
- Shape a thick circle for the pretend frosting and place it on top of "cake." (See photo.)
- Roll small balls in different colors to decorate your pretend cupcake with sprinkles and a larger red ball to make a cherry! (See photo.)
- Good job! You have just made a PLAY-DOH cupcake! (See photo.)
"Blueberry Pie" (instructions brought to you by PLAY-DOH brand)
- Make a ball and start pinching from center to form a bowl. Press out the bowl to form the pretend crust. (See photo 1, 2.)
- Roll lots of small balls and stack them inside the "crust."
- Roll 6 pieces of rope all the same length and flatten.
- Criss-cross the flattened ropes over top of "pie" to make latticework. (See photo.) Pinch edges of lattice to build the make-believe crust. Use a PLAY-DOH knife to indent along edge of crust. (See photo.)
- Bonus: Make it a la mode by adding a scoop of imaginary ice cream! Roll a medium-sized ball and place it on top of your pie slice. Sweet! You’re a great PLAY-DOH chef!
PLAY-DOH and its logo are trademarks of Hasbro used with permission. © 2009 Hasbro. All Rights Reserved.