Pony Bead Christmas Tree
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 4 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Your kids will love making this festive pony bead Christmas tree ornament. Chunky beads are great for a younger child's little fingers because they are big enough to hold, yet small enough to still be considered a bead.
What you'll need:
- 1 brown chenille stem
- 2 green chenille stems
- 50-55 green pony beads
- 20-25 pony beads, various colors
How to make it:
- Fold brown chenille stem in half. Grasp the stem about an inch or so below the fold and twist to form a loop (see image). Twist the two open ends around each other until you have the top loop and the rest of the stem is twisted together (see image).
- Cut one of the green chenille stems into thirds. Cut the other chenille stem in half. Starting at the end with the loop, twist the 3 smaller pieces of green chenille around the brown chenille "tree trunk" to form three branches, leaving about half an inch between the stems. Twist the larger two pieces of green chenille in the same fashion, toward the bottom of the trunk (see image).
- Starting with the top green chenille stem, string pony beads on alternating 2 green beads with 1 colored bead. Leave enough room at the end of each "branch" to fold over the chenille so beads will not fall off.
- Pony beads are available at your local craft store in a variety of colors.
- If you prefer, use white chenille and white beads mixed with light blue for a winter tree effect.
- Always check sales after each holiday as you will find some fabulous crafty bargains on theme and holiday colored supplies!