Chip Can Santa Craft
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 8 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Don’t throw out those potato chip cans, they make great crafts! Try your hand at this cute little chip can Santa craft, a perfect display for your holiday table.
What you'll need:
- 1 potato chip canister
- 2 sheets red felt
- 1 sheet white felt
- 1 sheet black felt
- 1 sheet peach felt
- Cotton balls
- 1 large white pom pom
- 1 jumbo craft stick
- 1 glittery silver chenille stem
- 2 medium wiggle eyes
- 1 small pink pom pom
- White craft glue or hot glue gun
How to make it:
- Print out patterns.
- Cover the top half of the potato chip can with peach felt.
- Cut the jumbo craft stick in half.
- Have a grown up poke a hole in each side of the potato chip can; this is where the arms will go.
- Wrap red felt around the can, line up with the bottom of the can and trim so that it overlaps the peach felt. Do not glue to the can just yet.
- Hold the felt in place and use a black marker to mark a dot on the red felt where the holes in the can are. Remove the felt and cut a small slit where each marker dot is; this is where the arms will slide in.
- Glue the red felt in place, making sure that the slits line up with the holes in the can.
- Cut the jacket trim from the white felt using the patterns. Glue the center trim piece on to the red felt, starting from the top of the red felt. Glue the bottom jacket trim around the can, covering the center jacket trim at the bottom.
- Cut the arms of the jacket from the red and white felt using the patterns. Lay the white arm trim down first, the red felt on top of that overlapping the white. Lay the craft stick on top of both, the rounded end should be sticking out about 1” from the white cuff. The flat (cut) end of the craft stick should also be sticking out about ¼”, just enough to insert into the can. If it is not, trim the felt to allow some of the stick to show. Fold the felt around the stick to create the sleeve and glue in place. Repeat for the other arm.
- Cut the belt and boots from the black felt using the pattern. Glue the belt around the can, about ¾” above the bottom white trim. Glue the boots to the bottom of the can.
- Bend the silver chenille stem into a buckle, trim where needed. Glue onto the belt.
- Insert the arms into the slits/holes in the side of the can. Glue to secure.
- Glue a sheet of red felt around the top of the can, just at the rim. This will be the hat. For now, just glue the felt around the rim and continue to the next step.
- Starting at the back, glue cotton balls in place for hair and beard. Use the photo as a guide.
- Gather the felt of the hat and tuck in and glue as you go to create the cap shape. Bend the cap downward and tack to the side to keep it down (if needed) using glue. Glue white pom pom to the end of the hat.
- Glue on wiggle eyes and pink pom pom for nose.
We used a cylinder chip can, but you can use any type of cylinder for this project. Try coffee creamer containers, juice cans or even an empty salt container.
To jazz up this cute Santa, use white glitter felt for the cuffs and jacket trim instead of plain white felt.
Felt is a wonderful craft medium and is very inexpensive, usually around 20 cents per sheet. Each time you go to the craft store or discount department store, buy a dollar or two worth of different colors and your stock will grow before you eyes!
More Holiday Fun