Potpourri Cake Version 2
Parental supervision is recommended
If you're looking for a fun and unusual craft that uses potpourri, this Potpourri cake could be it. It makes a lovely gift for kids to give on Mother's Day.
What you'll need:
- 1 (4" x 2") Styrofoam disc
- Cotton balls
- Sachet potpourri (the really fine stuff)
- Small decorative fruits or fake flowers (ones with wire stems work well)
- Small clear plastic plates
How to make it:
- Cut a triangular piece of Styrofoam from the disc (when finished the piece you cut out will look like a piece of cake.) Set the "cake slice" aside.
- Cover the inside of the disc (where you cut it with glue).
- Before the glue dries, coat it completely with potpourri.
- Glue the "cake" disc to the center of the plastic plate.
- Dip cotton balls in glue and stick them to the top and sides of your cake to make the "icing."
- Glue or stick a piece of fruit or a flower to the center of the cake.
- Cover the bottom and one flat side of the slice with glue and coat with potpourri. Lay the slice flat on the uncovered, flat side.
- Cover the top and curved side of the slice with cotton balls dipped in glue.
- Allow to dry, and tah dah -- a potpourri cake and cake slice to decorate mom's kitchen!
I did this project with 6-8 year old Girl Scouts last year as our Mother/Daughter craft. The girls and Mom's loved it. I pre-cut all the discs for ease.