By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 5 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Dress up like the presidents of the past with this fun powdered wig. Perfect for school plays or even a Halloween costume.
What you'll need:
- Paper painter’s hat
- Cotton balls, about half a bag
- White craft glue
- 4” x 2” black felt
How to make it:
- Stuff something inside the hat like a hand towel or a few rags, just to give it some shape. (See image.)
- Glue cotton balls to the hat, starting at the front and working your way back. (See image 1 and 2.) Continue until the entire hat is covered.
- Cut the black felt into 4 long strips. Glue 2 of them to the center of the bill of the hat (over the cotton balls) in un upside down “V” shape. This will be the tail of the bow. (See image.)
- Fold the remaining two strips in half and glue the ends together to form the bow ties. (See image.)
- Glue the bow over the bow tail. (See image.)
- Allow to dry completely.
- Wear hat backwards so the bow is above the nape of the neck.
- You can find painter hats at home improvement stores for less than a dollar.
- Instead of rags, line the hat with wax paper or plastic wrap and place it on another child’s head, then glue away!
- Buy several pieces of felt whenever you visit the craft store to keep your supply stocked.