Puzzle piece photo ornament
Parental supervision is recommended
If your house has jigsaw puzzles with pieces missing, this puzzle photo ornament is a creative craft for kids that can make use of the remaining pieces--perfect as Christmas ornaments.
What you'll need:
- Puzzle pieces
- Green spray paint or craft paint
- Ribbon (or premade bow)
- Narrow ribbon or cording
- Green construction paper
- 2 Round objects to trace (See instructions below)
- Red glitter glue pen
- Photograph of child (wallet size works best)
How to make it:
- Spray paint your puzzle pieces ahead of time, or let the children paint the pieces with craft paint.
- Let dry.
- Find a round object to trace that the dimension will be the right side opening for the picture to show through.
- Find another round object that is about 2 inches wider than the first object.
- Trace around the larger object on the green construction paper. Cut the circle out.
- Position the smaller object in the middle of the cut out circle. Trace around it.
- Cut the inside of the circle out.
- Glue the painted puzzle pieces around the circle. Be sure to leave the center open for the picture to show through. Layer the pieces in 2 layers to fill in the bare spots.
- Use glitter glue pen to put small red dots on the green puzzle pieces. (This is to resemble holly berries)
- Let dry.
- Glue the photograph on the back of the circle. Be sure to position the photograph to show through the opening.
- Glue on a bow. Add a narrow ribbon or cording, knotting together, so that you may hang your ornament.
- Take the largest circle object and trace it on the cardboard. Cut the circle out.
- Glue the cardboard circle to the back of the ornament. (This step gives the ornament stability)
- Be sure to write the child's name and date on the back of the cardboard.
- Wrap up and let the child give to their parents for Christmas!
See also: Make Your Own Gift Bags for creative ways to give this as a gift. Use Christmas wrapping paper, or butcher paper and rubber stamp Christmas designs on it.