Chinese New Year Red Envelopes
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
During Chinese New Year it is common for children to receive a red envelope containing money as a gift from family members. Make your own red envelope and decorate it with good luck symbols!
What you'll need:
- Red craft foam, roughly 6” x 8”
- Hot glue gun
- Gold glitter glue
- Green construction paper
- Black marker
- Chinese characters pattern
How to make it:
- From the longer side of the rectangular piece of craft foam, fold the bottom up about 1”. Glue in place.
- Fold one of the 6” sides toward the middle, fold the other side over the top of that. Glue in place.
- Use gold glitter glue to draw on lucky Chinese symbols. Set aside to dry completely.
- Cut a small rectangle from green construction paper. Use a black marker to draw “$1” in the corner and the word “ONE” in the center. When the glitter glue is dry, insert the green “dollar” into the red envelope and glue in place.
- You can substitute construction paper for the craft foam.
- Try gold craft pens instead of glitter glue if you prefer.
- Have some Monopoly money lying around? Insert one of those bills instead of making your own!