Ribbon Spool Christmas Candle
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 8 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Candles are wonderful, but this one is safer! This flame lasts forever and will not burn your fingers. It would make a lovely centerpiece on your Christmas dinner table.
What you'll need:
- Large cardboard spool from ribbon
- Foam bowl (recommended: 12 oz polystyrene disposable food bowl)
- 1 sheet green felt
- Scraps of orange, red and yellow felt
- 12” long piece of 1-2” wide holiday ribbon
- 3 green skinny chenille stems
- White acrylic paint
- White craft glue
How to make it:
- Paint the spool with white paint and set aside to dry.
- Cut green felt into twelve 2” square pieces.
- Cut chenille stems into fourths.
- Poke the center of a felt square with your finger or a pen, gather poked end and wrap a piece of chenille around it, forming a 3D leaf. Repeat for all twelve squares.
- Turn foam bowl upside down so the open side is faced down. Use a pen to poke a hole on the foam side of the bowl, about ½” down from the flat bottom. Insert the pointed end of the felt leaf into the hole. Poke the next hole about an inch from the first. Repeat this step until all twelve leaves have been inserted around the bowl. Trim the rim off the bowl so that the leaves are almost touching the table.
- Glue the spool to the flat bowl bottom.
- Cut a 2” tear drop shape from red felt.
- Cut a 1.5” tear drop shape from orange felt.
- Cut a 1” tear drop shape from yellow felt.
- Glue the yellow felt to the orange and the orange to the red so that each color shows behind the one in front of it. Add white glue to the bottom of the felt and the opening at the top of the spool. Insert the felt flame into the top of the spool.
- Tie ribbon into a bow and trim ends if needed. Glue to the front of your candle base, just above the leaves.
- If you don’t have a ribbon spool, substitute with a cardboard tube from your paper towels. Cut out a round piece of cardboard from a shoe box or cereal box and glue it on top.
- Always save scraps of ribbon to use up in projects such as these.
- Felt is inexpensive, so stock up by picking up five sheets each time you shop!