Rock Family Plaque
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 5 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
This adorable craft is so easy and looks marvelous sitting on a shelf or on Dad's desk. A great gift for Father's Day!
What you'll need:
- Wood plaque
- Rocks, one for each family member
- Wiggle eyes, 2 for each rock
- Black acrylic paint
- Acrylic sealer spray
- White craft glue
- Label maker or silver paint and a black marker
How to make it:
- Paint the wood plaque with a coat of black paint and let dry. (See photo.)
- Wash the rocks and let them dry.
- Paint a second coat of black paint on the plaque and let dry.
- Have an adult spray the plaque with a coat of acrylic sealer spray. Let dry. (See photo.)
- Position rocks on the table and find the "resting spot" on the rock so that they will sit solidly on your plaque.
- Glue wiggle eyes on to the rocks, using a generous amount of glue. The glue will dry clear. Let dry. (See photo.)
- Position rocks on the plaque, then add a generous amount of white glue to the bottom of each rock and gently press onto the plaque. Let dry completely. (See photo.)
- Use a label maker to create your family name. If you don't have a label maker, paint a strip on the plaque with silver paint. Let dry completely.
- When strip is dry, use a black marker to write your family name.
- If you prefer a more colorful plaque, paint each of the rocks with colorful paint before adding the eyes.
- Be sure to let this project dry completely before giving it to Dad. Allow about 4 hour's worth of drying time.
- If you really want to play around with this, use yarn and construction paper to add hair and hats to the rock faces!