Salt Dough Bag Pins
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 5 and up
These playful and summery ornamental pins are perfect for hanging on backpacks or beach bags. Make several and give some to your friends!
What you'll need:
- Salt dough recipe (below)
- Acrylic paint in yellow, light blue, red, pink, white, tan and black
- Keychain or backpack clips
- Clear jewelry cord
- Black marker
How to make it:
Recipe for Salt Dough
2 parts flour
1 part salt
1 part water
Mix ingredients until dough comes together. We used 4 tablespoons of flour and 2 tablespoons each of water and salt to make a small amount, enough to make 10 – 12 ornaments.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Place cookie sheet on counter.
- For smiley face and beach ball, roll a piece of dough in your hands to form a ball about 1 inch in diameter.
- Place rolled dough ball on cookie sheet and press down flat with your fingers.
- Repeat this process for the ice cream cone. Start with the bottom scoop. Place a second smaller scoop on top. Make cone from another piece of dough.
- Use a toothpick to draw lines on cone if you like.
- Poke toothpick into dough toward the top of each ornament to make the hanger hole. With the toothpick through the dough and touching the cookie sheet, gently move the toothpick in a circle to enlarge the hole so it’s big enough to string cord through after the ornament is baked.
- Bake the ornaments for 2 – 2.5 hours. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Decorate with paint. Use the end of a toothpick to add sprinkles to ice cream. Use the end of a small paintbrush to dot on smiley face eyes. Use a black marker to draw on smiley mouth.
- When paint is completely dry, thread cord through the hole. Tie in a knot, then tie the ends of the cord to a keychain clip. Trim the excess cord with scissors.
- Jewelry cord can be found at all craft supply stores. You can also use hemp, but we don’t recommend yarn as it frays and can break easily.
- Keychain and backpack clips are sold in packages at craft supply stores.
- You can make just about anything out of salt dough. Be creative, but remember the weight. If you are hanging the ornaments from a backpack or bag, make them small enough that they won’t break the cord or get banged about.