Parental supervision is recommended
Every beachside sculptor knows the frustration of seeing a masterpiece sand castle swept away by the waves. Now kids can craft a permanent sand sculpture just by using sand, water and cornstarch.
What you'll need:
- 3 cups of sand ("play sand" from the hardware store works if you don't have "beach sand")
- 1 1/2 cups of cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- Old cooking pot
- Large spoon
How to make it:
- Mix the ingredients together in the pot.
- With the help of a grownup, cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly.
- When it gets thick, take it off of the stove and let cool.
- Once it is cool, use the spoon to turn it out on the newspaper.
- Now you can make it into any shape you like, let it dry, and keep your creation forever!
- A quick spray of Pam or other lubricating spray helps the sand pop right out of the sandcastle molds. A hole poked into the top of the sandcastle mold also seemed to help.
- To make the sandcastles pop out perfectly, the trick seemed to be packing the sand mixture into the molds tightly and leaving an air space at the open end of the mold and slamming the mold down hard onto the plate....the extra air helps pop the sand right out.