Santa Suit for Beanbag Animals
Parental supervision is recommended
Get your beanbag animals into the Christmas spirit with this Santa suit. It takes a bit of work but kids will love to see their stuffed toys dressed up, especially for Christmas.
What you'll need:
- Red felt
- White felt
- Black felt
- Gray felt
- White pom-pom
- Tacky glue or hot glue gun
- 4 Small snaps
- Red sewing thread
How to make it:
To make the Santa Hat:
- Cut a rectangle out of red felt about 3 1/2" x 9".
- Cut a strip of white felt about 1/4" x 9". Glue along one edge of the red felt. (see photo)
- Find the middle of the long side of the red felt (opposite the white band). Curl the felt around into a cone shape.
- Note: You may need to adjust the opening to fit the individual beanbag animal's head.
- Glue top flap over bottom flap.(see next photo)
- Lightly press the front (with the white strip) against the back of the hat. Cut the flaps that are below the edge of the front of the hat. (see next photo)
- Glue a white pom-pom on the top of the hat.
To make the coat:
- Cut a rectangle out of red felt about 6" x 7 3/4".
- Cut two strips of white felt about 1/4" x 7 3/4". Glue along each long edge of the red felt. (see photo)
- Cut on the short side straight in towards the middle, cutting a 3" slit.
- After cutting the 3" slit, cut a 1 3/4 x 2" wide neck hole.
- Cut a strip of white felt about 1/2 wide x 3" long. Glue along the 3" slit on one side. (see photo)
- Sew on a snap 2" from each long end on the underside of the felt. (see photo)
- Repeat for other side.
- Sew a snap at the top of the neck hole on the underside of the 3" slit.
- Sew the other side of the snap on the top side of the 3" slit.
- Try on the suit and snap the snaps to hold the suit on the animal.
To make the belt:
- Cut a strip of black felt 1/2" wide and approximately 12" long.
- With the Santa suit on your beanbag animal, try the black felt belt around your animal. Be sure that it overlaps at least 1". Cut off any excess.
- Cut a rectangle (belt buckle) 1/2 x 3/4" out of gray felt. Cut two 1/2" slits about 1/8" apart on the gray felt.
- Insert the black belt through the buckle. (see photo)
- Sew one part of a snap on the underside of the belt between the end of the belt and the gray buckle.
- Try the belt on your beanbag animal, to determine where to sew the other side of the snap.
Enjoy your new Santa Suit!