On This Night Christmas Card
Be a star when you make this Christmas card for your family or friends!
By: Sandra Brown
Skill Level: This card craft is fun for moms and kids (age 7 and up) to do together. Moms may want to precut the paper and then help guide the child in assembling the card. And remember to get input from creative kids! Plus, if you're looking for just-for-mom time, put on some holiday music and make a few cards on your own.
What You Need
- white cardstock cut to 5 ½” x 8”
- pale blue solid or patterned paper cut to 3 ½” x 5”
- yellow cardstock
- patterned paper or cardstock in shades of blue and/or green
- label maker
- paper trimmer or scissors and ruler
- adhesive, such as glue stick, glue dots or double sided sticky tape
What You Do
- Fold white cardstock (5 ½” x 8”) in half.
- Glue pale blue rectangle to front of card in the center.
- Draw a star on the back of the yellow cardstock and cut out with scissors.
- Cut three rectangles free hand or with paper trimmer. Keep sizes approximately 1”x 2”.
- Glue rectangles vertically on the right hand side of the pale blue rectangle, keeping them evenly spaced.
- Glue the star to the left hand side of the pale blue rectangle (pencil side down).
- Print out the words “On” “This” “Night” “A” “Child” “Was” “Born” with labeler and attach them to the three rectangles. It worked out best to put the first three words in the top rectangle, then the “A” in the center and finally the last three words on the last rectangle. You may need to trim the words as necessary. Feel free to alter the words to “Oh” “Silent” “Night” or “A” “Child” “Is” “Born”. You may also hand write these or print them from your computer.
- This card fits in a standard envelope size 4 3/8th “ x 5 3/4th “, which can be found at any office supply store.
- Using a paper trimmer is quick and easily allows you to make straight cuts.
- Using textured cardstock gives your card a classy look.
- Inking the edges of each piece of cut paper gives a nice finished look. You can use specialty inks or a brown or black marker.
- Use your creativity in picking out your colors and papers.
- Don’t forget to sign the back of your card because you just created art!