O Little Town of Bethlehem Card
Sandpaper is a fun and inexpensive way to add texture to a card. Here, it represents the desert!
By: Bonnie Schiedel
Skill Level: Easy
What You Need
- purple or navy cardstock cut to 5 ½” x 8 1/2”
- scraps of black cardstock, or black marker
- scrap of yellow cardstock
- pale yellow or cream colored printer paper
- piece of sandpaper 5 ½” x about 2”
- brown ink pad or marker
- adhesive such as double-sided sticky tape, glue stick, liquid glue or mini glue dots
What You Do
- Fold purple cardstock in half.
- Cut a curving line across the length of the sandpaper. Glue it to the purple cardstock. Leave the top right hand corner unglued.
- Cut out a few squares, rectangles and half-circles to make a Bethlehem silhouette that is about 2” long and 1/2” high. Glue it just behind the desert sand, then glue the top right corner of the sand down. Or, use a black marker to draw the silhouette.
- Use a pencil to lightly draw a star on the yellow cardstock, then cut it out. Glue it above the silhouette.
- Tear the edges of the yellow paper. Photocopy or handwrite your favorite Scripture verse onto it. Use a brown marker or ink pad to line the torn edges, creating an aged look. Glue it to the top left of the card.
- It's difficult to make paper stick to the rough side of sandpaper. Experiment with scraps and different glues if you want the verse to be on the sandpaper.
- Try using the “sepia” setting on the photocopier.
- Consider using the words of a Christmas song such as “O Little Town of Bethlehem” instead of a Scripture verse.
- If your cardstock is a dark color, you may need to write, print or stamp your inside greeting on a lighter color of cardstock and glue it to the inside of the card. Or, use a 5 ½” x 4 ¼” piece of colored cardstock glued to a white card.
- Sandpaper will eventually damage scissors, so use an inexpensive pair to cut it.
Quick switch To make a gift tag, simply use a piece of cardstock about 3” x 4 ¼” and omit the verse. If you want to make a gift tag, just use two snowmen buddies.