Sculpture: Rainbow Ice Creations
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 3 and up
Want to bring the colors of the rainbow to your cold and snowy backyard? It's easy with this fun project and you don't even have to be outside to make it. All you need is colorful water and a freezer!
What you'll need:
- Food coloring in colors of your choice
- Plastic containers in different shapes (such as yogurt)
- Small plastic or paper cups (one for each color)
- Cookie sheet
- Old towel(s)
How to make it:
- Fill cups about 3/4 full with tap water.
- Add a few drops of food color to each cup and mix(red in one, blue in another, etc)
- Place plastic containers on counter. Pour one color into each container, filling about 1/3 full. You may choose yellow for one container and red in another, for example.
- Place containers on a level surface in the freezer for about an hour or so, long enough for the liquid to harden.
- Next, take the containers out of the freezer and pour on another layer with a contrasting color.
- Freeze again and repeat this process until containers are full and frozen solid.
- Remove containers from the freezer and allow to sit at room temperature just long enough to loosen them so your sculptures can be removed.
- Layer a cookie sheet with an old towel or two.
- Remove ice sculptures from their containers and place onto towel(s).
- Place your sculptures outside in the cold to admire daily!
- Be sure to use old towels that you don't mind dirtying as melting sculptures will stain the towel.
- As an alternative to food coloring you can use different colored juice to make your sculptures!
- Try different shaped containers for varying designs. Line a vegetable can or bowl with a plastic sandwich bag to use as your container for an interesting shape.
- If you're feeling particularly crafty and want to create a quick show-stopping sculpture, there are professional kits available at most craft stores. Simply follow the instructions - fill mold with water, add the supplied dye - and freeze. It can serve as a front stoop decoration or a table centerpiece for your next party.