Parental supervision is recommended
Children will be proud to show their festive spirit with this homemade scrunchie craft.
What you'll need:
- Seasonal fabric rectangle 16 1/2" x 5"
- Elastic: 10" of 1/4" or 3/8" elastic. Pre-made scrunchies use 1/4" elastic, but the homemade one with 3/8" really stretchy swimsuit elastic actually works better
- Large Safety pin
- Small safety pin
- Needle and thread - sewing machine is helpful
How to make it:
This is a pretty simple project, although the directions don't make it sound that way.
- Fold the fabric right sides together to make a long tube - 16 1/2" by 2" .
- Stitch the long edge together about 1/2" from the edge. Turn the tube right side out.
- Use the small safety pin to pin one end of the elastic to the scrunchie at one end of the tube. This will keep you from losing the elastic as you thread it through. Pin the large safety pin to the other end of the elastic, and then use it to thread the elastic through the scrunchie. Take both ends of the elastic, and tie a knot, leaving 2 inches of elastic sticking out past the knot when you are done.
- Now tuck the raw edges of the tube in, tuck the elastic ends in, and hand sew the two sides together, finishing the tube.