Parental supervision is recommended
Inspire future astronauts with this Seltzer rocket craft. You can rest easy knowing that it's impossible for these rockets to burn anyone.
What you'll need:
- Film canister with snap on lid (Fuji)
- Toilet paper roll (double roll size, preferred)
- Construction paper
- Scotch tape
- Markers, crayons, or paints
- Stickers, optional
- Alka-Seltzer tablets (generic works fine)
- Water in a container
- Eye protection (glasses)
How to make it:
- Cut straight up the side of the toilet paper roll.
- Insert the film canister at one end, making sure the end with the lid sticks out about 1/8".
- Tape along one edge of the toilet paper roll onto the film canister. Roll the toilet paper roll around the canister and tape tightly into place.
- Cut a circle out of construction paper, cutting a pie shaped wedge out of the circle. Experiment with different sizes of circles to see if it makes a difference in how the rocket reacts upon launch.
- Roll the paper into a cone shape and tape onto the other end of the toilet paper tube.
- Decorate your rocket with markers, stickers, crayons, or paints.
- Cut four squares out of construction paper to make fins if you wish. Tape on to lower sides of rocket.
- Take outside: the rocket, water, Alka-Seltzer tablets, and eye protection.
- Put on your eye protection.
- Turn the rocket upside down, remove the lid from the canister, and fill 1/4 full with water. Drop in tablet and immediately replace lid and set on ground. Back up!
Experiment with using one or two tablets into the canister to see if it will shoot up higher. Be sure to look for the tablets after the rocket fires, we were able to reuse some of them a couple of times. Be sure to rinse off your driveway or sidewalk after finishing with your rockets.
Waxtex waxed paper rolls appear to fit the film canisters, without having to cut them. Check any other type of rolled products you may have on hand, you may find another one that fits even better!