Ski Jump 3-D Art
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 6 and up
Capture the thrill of one of the Olympics most exciting events. This fun ski jump 3-D art project uses several different textures to create a fun scene!
What you'll need:
- 1 sheet each of light blue and green construction paper
- Glue stick
- 1 sheet white tissue paper
- White crayon
- 9" x 2" piece of aluminum foil
- White craft glue
- 2 toothpicks
- Scraps of orange and white construction paper
- Black marker
- 8 cotton balls
How to make it:
- Lay the light blue paper on the work surface in front of you. Fold the green construction paper in half like a large greeting card. Fold it in half again. (See photo.)
- Cut three different sizes triangles (use pattern as a guide) out of the folded paper. You should have 4 sets of 3 sizes.
- Using the pattern as a guide, use your glue stick to attach the triangles to the blue paper to make the trees. The largest triangle goes on the bottom, then the middle sized, and the smallest one on top. Repeat this for each tree. (See photo.)
- Tear tissue paper into pieces, approximately 2-3" square. "Draw" your mountain with the glue stick. (See photo.)
- Wad up the tissue paper pieces in your hand and press onto the glue in the blue paper. Repeat until you have built your mountain.
- Use a white crayon to add the background snow, again, using the pattern as a guide. You can also add some snow to the trees with the crayon. (See photo.)
- Fold the aluminum foil lengthwise into a 9" x ½" piece. (See photo.)
- Pipe a generous amount of white craft glue on for the ski jump, using the pattern as a guide. Standing the foil up on its side, position the foil into the glue to create the jump. Let dry. (See photo.)
- Glue two toothpicks, side by side, in place for the skis. (See photo.) Cut two thin strips of orange paper for the body and the arm. Glue in place, using the pattern as your guide. Cut face from white paper and hat from orange, glue in place. Add an eye with a black marker.
- Glue cotton balls onto the paper for clouds.
- Save tissue paper from birthday gifts. Don't throw them away just because they are scrunched up.
- Instead of toothpicks, you can use one mini craft stick for the skis.
- Instead of orange, choose colors that match your favorite Olympic team!