Smiley Daddy & Me Magnet
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 6 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Everyone knows what smileys are, so why not make one of you and your dad? This adorable magnet is perfect for attaching to a filing cabinet, refrigerator, or even a tool box.
What you'll need:
- ¼ c salt
- ¼ c water
- ½ c flour
- Cookie sheet
- Acrylic paint: yellow, peach, black, white
- Acrylic sealer spray
- White craft glue
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Mix together flour, salt, and water. Dough should not be sticky; you should be able to work it in your hands. If it is too sticky add small amounts of flour until you get the consistency that you want. Be careful not to add too much flour as your creations will crack!
- Pull a piece of dough off and form a ball by rolling it in your hands. Flatten he ball of dough onto the cookie sheet, it should be about ½” thick.
- Repeat the above step; only make the second ball a little smaller. Lay it on the cookie sheet and flatten it to ½". Place it carefully over the larger circle and use a knife or the toothpick to cut out a piece of the larger circle to fit the smaller circle into. Carefully push them together.
- Roll small pieces of dough to form the round noses. Flatten in your hand and then place onto the two faces.
- Use a toothpick to draw on the smiles. Be sure to do this step before baking.
- Place cookie sheet in oven and bake for 2 ½ hours.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Paint faces yellow and noses peach. Let dry. Repeat for a second coat.
- Use the handle end of the paintbrush to add whites of eyes. LET DRY completely before adding blacks of eyes or they will run together.
- Add blacks of eyes in same fashion as the whites.
- Use toothpick dipped in black paint to draw within the smile lines.
- Get a grown-up to spray the entire surface with acrylic sealer spray.
- Glue a magnet to the back and let dry.
- Personalize your smileys by adding hair, glasses or freckles.
- Make a family of smileys or just add more kids.
- Salt dough is basically one part salt, one part water and two parts flour. We recommended a small batch above. You can make as much or as little as you like. Keep in mind that you cannot save it, it will dry out, so only make what you need or intend to use.