Snowman Ball Ornament
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
This cute snowman is easy to make and fun to hang on the tree. Make extras to give as gifts!
What you'll need:
- Glass ball ornament
- White and black acrylic craft paint
- Measuring cup
- Orange and pink felt scraps
- 4" piece of green yarn
- 2 small glittery green pom-poms
- 1 gold chenille stem
- White craft glue
How to make it:
- Squeeze some white paint into the measuring cup, then a little bit at a time add small amounts of water and mix. You want the paint to be of pourable consistency, but not too thin.
- Remove hanger top from ornament and set aside. Pour some thinned white paint into the open ornament, about the size of a quarter (see image).
- Cover the opening with your thumb and shake the ornament so that the white paint covers the inside of the ball (see image).
- Pour the excess paint out of the ball and back into the measuring cup so that it does not pool at the bottom. Place ball ornament upside down onto an egg carton to dry (see image).
- Repeat steps 1 through 4 once or twice until your get the coverage that you want.
- Cut the yarn in half. Measure enough to go from the top of the ornament to the middle, about an inch or so. Glue in place on both sides of the ornament.
- Cut each pom-pom on one side, making one side flat. Glue the pom-poms to the ends of the yarn, these are your ear muffs (see image).
- Cut a long triangle from orange felt and two circles from pink for the nose and cheeks. Glue to the front of the ornament.
- Dot on eyes and mouth using the handle end of a paintbrush dipped in black paint (see image).
- Replace the ornament's hanger top. Insert chenille stem into the loop of the hanger top and twist closed.
- You can make this a much faster project by purchasing white glass ornaments.
- Use felt strips instead of yarn for the ear muffs.
- All supplies for this craft can be purchased from your local discount department store.