If one snowman ornament just isn't enough, try this snowmen fence. This Popsicle stick craft is a fun winter or Christmas activity for kids.
What you'll need:
- Five paint stir sticks (you get them free when you buy a can of paint)
- Six wide craft sticks (about 3/4 inch wide by six inches long)
- White craft paint
- Rub-on snowmen faces (or paint them on yourself)
- Yarn, felt, buttons, pom poms, etc. for making outfits
- Tacky glue
- Hot glue gun
- Wood hot glue sticks
- Wire or string
- Wire cutters, if using wire
How to make it:
- Paint the paint stir sticks white. Let dry. You may have to add more than one coat.
- Paint the craft sticks white. Let dry. You may have to add more than one coat.
- Rub on the snowmen faces according to the directions on the package. Note: You may also paint the face using thin permanent or paint markers, paintbrush and craft paints.
- Create scarves for each of the snowmen and glue in place around the "neck" (the part of the paint stick that curves in). Try felt shawls, scarves, and try braiding yarn for scarves too.
- Cut out hats for your snowmen and glue on their heads. Try making different kinds, using our pictures as ideas. Glue on pom poms for a fun look.
- Glue on buttons, pom poms, or whatever you have on hand for their buttons.
- Click here for the picture of the back of the snowmen.
- Glue the craft sticks to the back of the snowmen using the wood glue. Our bottom stick was about three inches from the bottom of the snowman. The upper stick was about three and a half inches above the bottom stick. Be sure to use a ruler to get it close to being straight. If it doesn't appear straight, don't worry. Look around your neighborhood and see how many wood fences are actually straight!
- Add extra wood glue to help strengthen the sticks. You may also wish to glue additional sticks where they touch end to end to give them more strength.
- Hang on a couple of nails, or tie wire or string on the ends so you can hang on one nail.
- Have fun and enjoy creating your Snowmen Fence!
Be sure to experiment with different hat designs by cutting and gluing them. It's fun to experiment and come up with a lot of different looks.