Snowy Winter Trees
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 8 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Bring the beauty of snow inside with this naturalistic craft. But you won’t need to worry about it melting--this fun project can be admired all year long.
What you'll need:
- 2 large twigs with several “branches”
- 1 block of floral foam
- 1 sheet white felt
- White craft glue
- Snow texture paint
How to make it:
- Push the end of each twig into the floral foam to make holes. Remove.
- Place felt over the top of the floral foam and find the holes using a pen, mark the felt. Cut or poke small holes in the felt where you marked it.
- Glue the felt onto the floral foam, trim if needed.
- Place a dab of glue on the end of one of the twigs and insert into the hole through the felt. Repeat with other twig.
- Apply snow texture paint using a paintbrush. You can use your fingers as a guide in case it falls in spots. Once you have applied all the snow texture paint that you want, allow to dry for 3 hours.
- Check twigs for bugs. Soak twigs in a combination of water and bleach. Fill a bathtub up half way and pour in 2 cups of bleach. Make sure to turn the twigs so all sides are soaked. After 24 hours, transfer the twigs into a large clean plastic bucket and soak in cold water for an additional 24 hours. Let dry completely before using.
- Add other fun elements like tiny birds made from pom poms or felt.
- Do not remove twigs that are still attached to the tree. Use twigs you find on the ground.