Sparkly Snowflake Mobile
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 4 and up
Kids have been making paper snowflakes for generations. Even grandparents get in on the fun when the paper and scissors come out! Hang this fun mobile from the ceiling.
What you'll need:
- white paper
- 2 large craft sticks
- white acrylic paint
- glitter (silver, white, pink or blue)
- white string
- silver ribbon
- white craft glue
- paint brush
How to make it:
- Cut paper snowflakes out of white paper. To do this, fold paper in half, then fold in half again. Take the bottom right corner of the rectangle and fold it up and over the left side to make a triangle. Use scissors to remove the excess strip of paper at the bottom. This gives you a perfect square. Now cut small strips and triangles from all edges of the paper, leaving enough room in the center so that it does not fall apart. Unfold your snowflake.
- To flatten out the creases from the folds, press snowflakes in a heavy book as you cut the next one, continue until you have cut-out four snowflakes.
- Mix white craft glue with some water, about half and half.
- Use paint brush to paint glue mixture onto the paper snowflake.
- Sprinkle heavily with glitter. Let dry completely.
- Tap off excess and repeat on other side.
- While snowflakes are drying, paint one side of the craft sticks white. Before paint has a chance to dry, sprinkle with glitter. Let dry, then repeat on other side.
- Cut white string into 4 different lengths and glue one to the back of each snowflake.
- Glue craft sticks together in the shape of an “X” and let dry.
- Tie ribbon around center of the “X”, leaving enough ribbon at the top to hang mobile.
- Tie the snowflakes onto the mobile, one string on each end of the craft sticks. Put a dot of glue one the string to secure it in place. You can wrap the string around the craft stick one or more times if the lengths are not to your liking.
- Press a thumbtack into the ribbon and push into the ceiling or door jam to hang.
- Instead of painting the snowflakes with the glue mixture you can pipe on white school glue and then sprinkle with glitter.
- There are many elaborate ways to make snowflakes. Let children experiment with different cuts and shapes—just have a trash can nearby for the scraps.
- You can purchase glitter spray paint that you can use instead of sprinkle glitter. Simply spray the paper with silver glitter paint and you are finished. Spray paints should only be handled by adults