Sports Ball Key Chains
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 6 and up
Is your dad a sports fan? If so, these fun key chains make a perfect gift this Father's Day! They are easy to make and useful as well.
What you'll need:
- Wooden ball (at least 1 ½")
- Screw eye
- Metal key ring
- Acrylic paint (white for baseball, orange for basketball)
- Marker (red or black)
- Acrylic sealer spray
How to make it:
- Have a grown-up use a nail and hammer to tap a small hole into the wooden ball. Insert the screw eye and carefully twist it until it is completely inside. Attach the key chain to the screw eye.
- Paint half of the ball with acrylic paint and set aside to dry. Turn over and paint the other side. Repeat steps if a second coat is needed.
- Use a black marker to draw on the lines for the basketball, or a red marker to draw lines and stitches on the baseball.
- Use a fine tip black marker to write "#1 Dad" on the ball.
- Spray a coat of acrylic sealer on one half of the ball and let dry. Repeat on other side and let dry.
- Look for a small dot on the wooden ball (all wooden craft balls have them). This is the best place to insert the nail and the screw eye.
- Use a real basketball or baseball as a model to see where the lines should be drawn.
- Wooden balls can be found at your local craft or discount department store.