By: Jacqueline Rupp
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 4 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Spring is the perfect time to wear fancy hats. It's even more fun to invite friends to join you in a bonnet making party. Have a contest to see whose bonnet is best.
What you'll need:
- Straw bonnets
- Decorations (such as ribbons, bows, pom-poms, small plastic eggs, fabric scraps, feathers, sequins, or jewels)
- Ribbon for a hat tie
- Hot glue gun
How to make it:
- Start with your straw hat. Add ribbons, bows, pom-poms, or anything you can think of for decoration to your bonnet. You can even create a scene on your hat by adding some tiny toy springtime animals or pictures of birds and flowers.
- For variety, cut shapes from foam sheets and stick them to the top of the hat, or add gift-wrap ribbon to dangle down the back.
- You can also add small plastic eggs or fabric scraps rolled up to look like flowers. Small touches like feathers, sequins, or jewels can really make a bonnet beautiful, too.
- After you've finished decorating, add a ribbon tie by gluing about a foot of ribbon onto the inside of the hat to tie under your chin.