Starfish Santa Sponge
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 5 and up
Ever wonder what Santa would look like in an underwater world? We think we have it figured out!
What you'll need:
- Large pink, orange, or yellow household sponge (or 2 medium)
- Instant grab glue
- 1 cotton ball
- 2 small wiggle eyes
- ½ sheet each of white and red felt
- Small scrap of black felt
- Felt glue
- Star and Santa suit patterns
How to make it:
- If using 2 sponges, first glue them together with instant grab glue and let glue adhere. (See photo.)
- Cut out star shaped pattern. Use a marker to trace star shape onto the sponge and cut it out. (See photo.)
- Use the Santa suit pattern to cut out the pieces from red and white felt. The red suit should be one complete piece and the white trim should be small pieces. Cut the buckle from the black felt scrap.
- Glue the red suit onto the sponge, and then glue the white trim pieces on top of the red star. Do not glue on the hat yet. Glue the buckle on last.
- Pull a cotton ball apart and spread around the face area on the sponge to create a beard and hair, and then glue in place.
- Glue the hat, brim, and pom-pom in place.
- Glue on wiggle eyes.
- You can find household sponges at a dollar store.
- Instant grab glue adheres much faster than regular white craft glue and it won't soak into the sponge.
- For thicker sponges, children may need assistance from a parent to cut out the star.