By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 5 and up
These snowman ornaments are so cute and very easy to make. Provide a variety of colors and patterned fabrics as well as different colored supplies to make each snowman unique!
What you'll need:
- large craft sticks
- small twigs
- white and black acrylic craft paint
- orange toothpicks
- colorful felt
- Glittery chenille sticks
- Shiny pom poms
- Black craft foam
- Buttons or sequins
- Hot glue gun
How to make it:
- Paint the craft sticks white and let dry completely.
- Break twigs into pieces about 3 inches long.
- Cut strips of colorful felt to make scarves, fringe the ends with scissors.
- Cut the end off of an orange toothpick, about 1 inch long.
- Cut a hat out of black craft foam.
- Using the wrong end of a paintbrush, dip the end into black paint, then dot on an eye, repeat for the other eye. Repeat this process for the mouth. Or, use a round-tip marker.
- Glue the orange toothpick nose in place.
- Tie the felt scarf around the snowman’s neck, or simply fold over to look like it’s blowing in the wind, and then glue it in place.
- Glue on hat. If you prefer ear muffs, cut a piece of chenille stick to fit around top of head, then glue in place. Glue on pom poms for the muffs.
- Glue buttons or sequins in a line below the scarf.
- Cut a piece of ribbon 8-10 inches long for the hanger. Fold in half and glue the open ends together on the back of the snowman’s head.
- Lastly, glue on the stick arms and let your snowman dry in a safe place where he won’t get bumped.
- There is a very large variety of colorful chenille sticks, pom poms, and felt available at craft supply stores. They are inexpensive and great to have on hand for impromptu crafts. Offering a variety allows children to choose their favorites and be unique.
- If you don’t have any felt, or if you prefer to use a patterned fabric, remnants make great scarves! Gingham and stripes give your snowman a country feel.
- Teach children to respect the environment by either picking dead branches off a bush or tree, or to gather them from the ground.