String Splatter Painting
Parental supervision is recommended
Make some pretty paintings that look like fireworks using the idea below. This can get a bit messy, and is best done outside where the area can be hosed down afterwards.
What you'll need:
- Black or dark blue construction paper
- Tempera paint
- Yarn or string
- Muffin tin or egg carton
- Paint brushes
- Smock or painting shirt (this one can get messy!)
- Glitter (optional)
How to make it:
- Spread the newspaper out to cover your work area. (This is also a great "outdoor" activity!) Put on your smock or painting shirt to protect your clothes.
- Put the different colors of tempera paint into the sections of the muffin tin or egg carton. If you would like, you can mix a small amount of glitter into the paint.
- Use the scissors to cut the yarn into manageable lengths (six to ten inch lengths usually work well.) One color at a time, dip a piece of yarn into its "own" color and, holding on to the clean part, drop the yarn down on different parts of the paper. When you have as much as you would like of that color, use another piece of yarn for the next color.
- Dip the paintbrush into the paint. Stand back a little and "spatter" the paint onto the paper. (This should make nice patterns that look a lot like fireworks.) Repeat with the other colors until your "fireworks light up the sky!"
- Let them dry. If you would like, you can create one for each family member. Then cover them with Con-Tact paper and use them as Independence Day place mats.