Stuffed Felt Christmas Tree
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 6 and up
Whether you decorate this adorable tree with craft jewels or colorful buttons, your child will be very proud of his/her accomplishment.
What you'll need:
- 1 sheet green felt
- 1 miniature craft stick
- Brown acrylic craft paint
- 6" green yarn
- 2 yellow tri-beads
- Colorful buttons or craft jewels
- Hot glue gun or needle and thread
- Cotton batting
How to make it:
- Paint half of the craft stick brown on both sides. It's not necessary to paint the whole thing as half of it will be inside the ornament and not visible (see image).
- Fold green felt in half like a greeting card. Using the folded edge as the pointed top of the tree, cut out a tree shape (see image).
- Glue both sides of the tree together. Stuff the tree with cotton batting, using a paintbrush handle to gently push the batting up into the top of the tree (see image).
- Once the tree is full, insert the craft stick, unpainted end first, into the middle of the batting at the center of the tree's bottom. Grasp the felt near the bottom of the tree, holding the stick in place at the same time (see image). Glue the stick to the felt and glue the bottom of the tree shut.
- Decorate the outside of the tree with craft jewels or buttons as the ornaments.
- Glue the yarn to the top of the tree on both sides, cover with two tri-beads, which will act as the tree's star.
- Watch for sales on glitter felt, especially after the holidays.
- Beads, buttons, and various craft jewels are all available from your local craft supply store.
- Another way to attach the string hanger is to run the yarn through the open felt at the top of the tree before gluing the sides together.