Parental supervision is recommended
Have hours of fun using different colored beads to create unique rainbows with this bright kids' craft--a golden gift for St. Patrick's Day or Earth Day.
What you'll need:
- Pattern (see below)
- Drinking straw
- Clear plastic lanyard (recommended: Rexlace brand)
- 101 clear transparent beads (7mm) *These beads appear gray on the pattern.
- 19 red transparent beads (7mm)
- 17 blue transparent beads (7mm)
- 15 pink transparent beads (7mm)
- 14 green transparent beads (7mm)
- Tacky glue
- Suction cup (with a hook or with a slit)
How to make it:
- Fold each strip of clear lanyard in half so that they curve towards each other. (Lanyard has a natural curl in it.) Cut strips of clear lanyard, one for every row in the pattern, that are 10 inches long.
- Fold each strip around the straw and string the beads over both layers of clear lanyard in the order the beads go on the pattern. Do 1 column at a time.
- After each column is finished, tie a knot at the end.
- Put a drop of tacky glue in each knot to help it stay.
- Let all of the knots dry and then cut off the extra clear lanyard at the ends.
- Trim the straw so that it is a little longer than the suncatcher on both ends.
- Run a piece of lanyard through the straw and make a loop to hang the suncatcher from. Tie a knot at the end and put a drop of glue in the knot.
- Hang it from the suction cup and enjoy!
You could make a whole window full of Rainbow Suncatchers by changing the order of the colors on the rainbow, or changing the colors completely.