Sunny Sky Costume
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 6 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
If you are looking for an easy Halloween costume you can throw together, even the day of Halloween, this little Sunny Sky costume is perfect. If the weather is cool you can use a sweatshirt or long sleeved top instead of a t-shirt.
What you'll need:
- Light blue t-shirt, sweatshirt or long sleeve shirt
- Felt: yellow, goldenrod, white, orange, pink, purple, green, light green
- 4 small pom poms, any color
- White craft glue (non-permanent) or no-sew fabric glue (permanent)
- Wax paper
How to make it:
- Cover a piece of cardboard with wax paper using tape, then place covered cardboard inside t-shirt. This will keep the glue from sticking to the back side of the shirt.
- Place shirt and cardboard onto a flat work surface.
- Cut the following pieces from felt:
White – cloud
Yellow – sun
Goldenrod – sun a little larger than yellow
Goldenrod - 7 sun ray triangles
Goldenrod – 2 small boomerang shapes for sun’s eyes
Orange – sun’s smile
Orange – 2 circle flowers
Pink – 2 five-petal flowers
Purple – two tulips
Green – 6 thin strips for flower stems
Light green – grass
- Choose the glue you would like to use (see tips below). Glue the cloud in the upper right corner of the shirt.
- Glue the golden rod sun in the upper left corner of the shirt. Next glue the yellow sun on top of the goldenrod sun so that a little of the goldenrod shows at the curved end.
- Glue the sun ray triangles around the curved edge of the sun. Glue on sun’s eyes and smile.
- Position the grass onto shirt but do not glue in place. Position all flowers (except pom poms) and stems. Once everything is where you want it, glue the stems and flowers in place first, then the grass can be glued down.
- Glue the pom poms onto the round and the flowers with petals.
- Lift cardboard and move project to a safe place where it can dry undisturbed. Allow shirt to dry completely, could take several hours.
- Remove the cardboard from the inside of the shirt.
- Have child wear a pair of sunglasses and he/she is now a sunny day!
- If you would like to reuse the garment you can use white craft glue as it will wash out, removing the felt pieces. However, to make it permanent, buy a no-sew permanent fabric glue.
- Items can also be sewn on if you prefer.
- Add a cute yellow or white hat to top off this costume.