By: Amanda Formaro
Parental supervision is recommended
Brrrr! It’s time for building snowmen! Too cold to go outside, or no snow on the ground? No problem! Make this cute textured snowman to decorate your home.
What you'll need:
- 3 – 3” Styrofoam balls
- Hot glue gun
- Piece of thick cardboard for base
- Snowtex paint (see Helpful Hints, below)
- Child sized mismatched sock or mitten
- Two glitter pom poms
- 5” piece of ribbon
- 10” strip of felt for scarf
- 2 tiny black pom poms
- Orange toothpick
- Three buttons
- 2 sturdy twigs
- Kitchen knife
How to make it:
- Cut one end of one of the Styrofoam balls off flat with a kitchen knife, just enough so that it will rest flat on the work surface and won’t roll away. This will be the head of your snowman.
- Cut both ends of the other two Styrofoam balls, making flat ends on both. These will be the center and bottom of your snowman.
- Cut the cardboard into a square big enough to serve as a base for your snowman.
- Take one of the Styrofoam balls that have both ends cut flat and hot glue it to the cardboard square.
- Take the second Styrofoam ball with two flat ends; hot glue it on top of the bottom Styrofoam ball.
- Take the last Styrofoam ball and hot glue the flat side on top of the center ball.
- Paint entire snowman and base generously with Snotex paint.
- Before the Snotex dries, press the buttons onto the body and the tiny pom poms on for the eyes (no glue necessary).
- Break or cut the orange toothpick in half and insert into the face, pointed side out.
- Insert stick arms on each side of the body.
- Let Snotex dry completely.
- Once it is dry, tie the felt scarf over the snowman’s neck, and fringe the ends with scissors if you like.
- Cut foot end off sock or hand/fingers off mitten so that all you have is cuff and maybe some extra material. Roll the cuff up once or twice, and then place on snowman’s head. Take in place with hot glue.
- Use ribbon to tie the top of the hat closed. Trim excess ribbon.
- Decorate top of hat with glitter pom poms.
- Have baby wipes or wash cloths handy as this project can be pretty messy
- Snow-tex is a paintable textured medium that looks like snow when applied. It is readily available at craft supply stores and many discount department stores.
- Don’t throw away mismatched mitten, gloves or socks, especially colorful ones! These are idea for making snowman hats and can be kept in your craft supplies until ready to use.