Parental supervision is recommended
Get psychedelic with a crafting classic - tie dyeing. The colorful 'sunburst' patterns kids can create are never out of style. This simplified version doesn't even require a washing machine!
What you'll need:
- Tie dye (Hot water dye is the best because it won't run out. It is purchased from most chemists and specialty stores from $3.00 to $5.00.)
- T-shirt, handkerchief, shorts, almost anything that might be of interest dying
- Large pot -- metal because the dye does stain wood
- Spoon to stir around with
- Rubber bands
How to make it:
- Take article of clothing, gather up a bundle and wrap around the rubber band tightly.
- Do this in numerous spots all over the article so that circles will turn up everywhere you want.
- Boil some water in a large pot and when boiling tip dye in (sometimes you don't even need to use the whole pot of dye). Add article and stir for around 30 minutes on high.
- When finished, take out with tongs and run under cold water to make sure all extra dye runs out.
- Dry, then take off lackey bands (rubber bands), iron and your piece is ready to use.