Tin Can Black Cat
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 5 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Are black cats bad luck? Not this one! Make this cute can to hold pens, crayons, school supplies, candy, popcorn, or whatever else you think is the cat's meow.
What you'll need:
- Black acrylic paint
- Empty vegetable can
- Felt: black, goldenrod, pink, gray, glittery black
- White craft glue
- Hot glue gun
- Acrylic sealer spray
How to make it:
- Be sure that vegetable can is clean and dry. If there are any sharp edges at the opening, have an adult smooth those with a little sandpaper first.
- Paint outside of can black and set aside to dry.
- From goldenrod felt, cut out two almond shapes for eyes using pattern.
- From black felt, cut two slits and two eyelids for eyes using pattern.
- From pink felt, cut out a nose using pattern.
- From gray felt, cut six 4” long thin rectangular strips for whiskers.
- From black glitter felt cut out two triangles for ears using pattern.
- From remaining black glitter felt, cut enough to line inside of the can.
- From plain black felt, cut a strip the length of the felt about 2.5” wide.
- When paint on can has dried, spray with acrylic sealer spray and set aside to dry for 10 minutes.
- Using white craft glue, line the inside of the can with the black glitter felt.
- Using white craft glue, attach eyes, slits, lids, and nose to the front of the can.
- Glue the first 2/3 of the whiskers to the can next to the nose, three on each side. Leave the last third of each whisker unglued so that they stick out from the side of the can.
- Glue triangle ears to the inside front of the can.
- Take your black strip of felt and using the hot glue gun, roll it into a tail and secure with glue. Starting at the back of the can, come around to the front and secure in place with hot glue.
- Adapt this project for any color cat by simply changing the felt color.
- Fill a cellophane bag with Halloween candy, tie with an orange or black chenille stem and place inside this can for a fun gift.
- Fill cat can with plastic forks and napkins for a festive table decoration.