Used CD Banner
Age: 5 & up
Parental supervision is recommended
Make a flashy contribution to any celebration with this Used CD banner. By recycling old CDs kids can craft an unusual decoration for New Year's or other occasions that call for a banner.
What you'll need:
- Graphics Software that supports labels and also imports graphics from scanner
- Color Printer
- 2 1/2" Round sticker pages for your printer
- 17 Old CDs (be sure to ask your parents!) See note at bottom of page
- Double stick tape
- Poster paper or banner paper (optional)
How to make it:
- Using your graphics software, start a new project using the 2 1/2" round stickers.
- Draw up your graphics, and letters for the banner if desired. Scan your graphics, importing them into the software. Optional: Use the graphics clip art that comes with your software.
- Size your graphics on the labels.
- Use the Text feature in the software to add a letter to each sticker spelling out Happy New Year!.
- Print out stickers and let the ink dry.
- Peel off the stickers and apply to the SHINY (data) side of the CDs.
- Put a strip of double stick tape on the back of the CD and attach to a safe surface. Be sure to check to make sure the tape doesn't destroy the surface. Another idea would be to attach to banner or poster paper cut to size, then hang up the banner.
Another Way to Create this Project:
If you do not have enough CDs to complete this project, there is another way to do this.
- Place one blank sticker on the shiny (data) side of an OLD CD.
- Scan the CD with the blank sticker attached.
- Import into graphics software.
- Create a new banner. (If your printer doesn't support banners, you will need to tape pages together to create one.)
- Import or copy the "CD" image across the banner 17 times.
- Add letters using the Text feature as explained above, but placing on the blank area of each CD.
- Add graphics as described above.
- Print off using banner paper and hang.
- You can make the letters using markers and pens without having to use a computer. Let your children design your banner!