School Valentine Card
By: Bonnie Schiedel
Age: 4 and up
Is your child giving out Valentines at school? This quick and easy card looks cute and is less expensive than many store-bought Valentines. Get an assembly line going and you’ll be done in no time. More Valentine's Day ideas, handmade cards, crafts, recipes, coloring pages, and more. Also, check out our slideshow of our favorite Valentine's cards.
What you'll need:
- Red cardstock cut to 3 ½” x 3 1/2”
- Craft scissors with a scalloped or zig-zag edge (optional)
- Scraps of patterned paper, about 2” long and 1/2” wide
- Scrap of patterned paper 2” square
- Hole punch
- Adhesive such as double sided sticky tape, glue stick, liquid glue or mini glue dots
- Rick-rack, ribbon or yarn about 8” long (optional)
- Candy (optional)
How to make it:
- Use the craft scissors to trim the edges of the red cardstock. (Skip this step if you wish).
- Use your scissors to freehand cut a circle from the 2” square of paper. It doesn't have to be perfectly round.
- Use the hole punch to punch a hole in the circle. It doesn't have to be exactly in the middle; in fact, it looks better when it's off center!
- Glue the 2” strips of paper on the red cardstock, forming an X.
- Glue the circle beside it.
- Help your child write “To” and “From” on the back of the Valentine.
- If you wish, use the hole punch to punch a hole in the top left corner of the valentine, and thread the rick-rack through it. Tie a Valentine treat, like a candy necklace or lollipop, to it.
- If an “XO” card is too “mushy” for your child, omit and use the paper strips to make an “F” (just cut one of the strips in half). Then your child can write “Friend” on the card.
- This Valentine is a great way to use up small scraps of patterned paper. Have fun trying out different combinations.
- If your child and his friends are into a particular cartoon character or sports team, keep an eye out for stationery or other paper that features the appropriate pictures and logos to make the “XO.” Or, you could use plain paper decorated with small stickers from the dollar store.
- Craft stores sell large punches that allow you to punch out circles ½” or more in diameter.
- Craft scissors with a scalloped or zig-zag edge are inexpensive and widely available at craft stores. Craft stores also sell small punches (for the center of the “O”) in a variety of shapes, including hearts, stars and spirals.
Quick switch This card could easily be used as a tag on a gift like a box of cookies or chocolates. Or, for a larger card, just glue the “XO” onto a piece of cardstock cut to 5 ½” x 8 ½”. It would make a great anniversary card too.