Wall or Table Swag
Parental supervision is recommended
I have made lots of these as Christmas gifts for friends. The swags can make elegant hostess gifts or kids could do a simpler version. They can be hung on the wall or used as a table centerpiece.
What you'll need:
- Artificial pine base (see photo)
- Felt, optional for centerpiece
- Tacky glue or hot glue
- Wire cutters
- Christmas candle, if desired as a centerpiece
- Large bow (pre-made or you can make from ribbon)
How to make it:
- You buy the base, available here in craft stores for around Can $10.
- For a wall hanging attach a piece of wire as a hook first and check that it will hang well before you add all the ornaments.
- I wire and glue the bow and wire any of the heavier stuff as well as gluing. Otherwise it's just a matter of selecting nice ornaments and placing them well.
- If it's to go on a table, glue a piece of felt on the bottom to prevent scratching, once everything else is wired on.
Note: This is probably one for older kids or a parent to do with younger ones. The look changes completely with different choices of ribbon, candles and ornaments.
I've done different versions of this, you can experiment with ornaments and layout on the swag. For some I put a Christmas candle in the middle, for wall ones I tend to use a big bow to the side (kids could probably buy one to use).
Some Tips from Other Sites:
Please note the links below are on other sites, not part of Kids Domain. We checked for family safe content, but content can change. If you see something that's inappropriate, let us know.
FamilyCorner.com Magazine has directions for Creating a Centerpiece that gives basic bow construction.
You can purchase pre-made bows at your local craft store. Here are a few sites online that sell pre-made bows or kits: