Walnut Shell Mouse
Parental supervision is recommended
Make a walnut shell mouse that you'll be happy to see around the house—perfect for rainy days.
What you'll need:
- 3" x 3" piece of gingham or similar material
- Cotton ball
- Needle & thread
- White glue
- Three small black beads
- 1 (4") piece of yarn
- 1 brown paper bag
- 1 half walnut shell
- 1 small magnet, optional
How to make it:
- Cut the material into a 2 1/2" circle. Sew in large gathering stitches about 3/4" in from the edge. Begin pulling the thread tight. Just before it closes, stuff the cotton ball or small amount of batting into the center. This is your mouse's hat. If you prefer you can buy a tiny ready made hat.
- Trace the bottom of the walnut shell onto the brown paper bag. Draw two small circles about the size of a dime. Cut out.
- Fold the top of the circles down about 1/8". These will be the ears.
- On your paper walnut, glue the four inch piece of yarn about 1/2" inside the paper. This is the tail. Put glue on the bottom of the shell and attach it to the cut out paper shell. Make sure the tail hangs out, but the part of the tail that is glue is on the inside.
- Glue on the bead eyes, paper ears, and the hat. If you want your mouse on your refrigerator, then glue a small magnet on the back.