By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 8 and up
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with your very own sombrero to wear for the festivities! Decorate this Mexican hat however you choose to make it your very own style.
What you'll need:
- 3 10x13 sheets of yellow craft foam
- Craft foam in red, green and white
- 12" green ribbon
- 2 large orange pom-poms
- Pinking shears
- Hot glue gun
How to make it:
- Roll one of the yellow foam sheets into the largest cone you can make out of it. Hot glue it closed.
- Using the table as your gauge, trim the bottom of the cone until it rests evenly on the table, point side up. Tuck the excess at the top down into the center of the cone.
- Lay the remaining two yellow sheets side by side (13" sides should be touching each other). Using the large end of the cone, trace a circle into the center of BOTH of the sheets laying together. If you were to pull the sheets apart, each would have a half circle.
- Remove the cone and set aside. Next, draw a circle around the outside of your traced circle to make your hat brim. Draw the largest circle you are able to, using as much of the yellow foam sheet as possible.
- Separate the two yellow foam sheets and cut along the lines you have drawn. When you lay them back down next to each other they should look like a donut.
- Using some of the leftover scrap foam, cut two thin strips (about 4" long). Use each of these to "seam" your donut shape together. Hot glue the strips to the seams, combining the two sheets to make one large donut.
- Use scissors to cut 1" long slits at the large end of your cone, cutting them about 1" apart. See figure 1. You should be able to place the cone on the table and press down gently, fanning out the slits you just cut. This gives you a surface to glue your hat brim to.
- Working fairly quickly, put a dab of hot glue onto each slit, then immediately slide the donut over the top of the cone and press down onto the slits, gluing the brim in place.
- Cut a 1" wide strip of green craft foam and glue in place as the hat band.
- Cut a curvy strip of white craft foam and glue onto the green hat band.
- Tie green ribbon around the top of the hat, tacking in place at the back with a dab of glue. Tie into a knot and glue an orange pom-pom to the end of each piece of ribbon.
- Use pinking shears to cut out triangles from red craft foam.
- Cut a 1" slit into the hat brim. (About every 7 or 8", you should have approximately 5-6 slits.) Place a little glue on one side of the slit and tuck up the other side and hold it in place. Repeat for each slit to curve your sombrero brim upward.
- Glue red triangles around the outside of the hat brim.
- If you need a larger hat than one cone will make, hot glue two sheets of foam together to create a larger cone. You may need to increase the amount of foam needed for the remainder of the project as well.
- Yellow is only a recommendation. You can use any color you like to make your sombrero!
- You can add dingle balls by gluing on pom-poms around the brim, or create a stitched look by sewing yarn through the brim in large looping stitches.