Wire Heart Valentine's Day Card
By: Claudine Casault
Age: 8 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Why not give a very sophisticated and modern Valentine's Day card to someone this V-Day?
Make sure to visit our main Valentine's Day page for even more fun including additonal handmade Valentine's Day cards, Valentine's Day crafts, recipes, printables, and more. Also check out our slideshow of our favorite Valentine's cards.
What you'll need:
- Recycled cardboard
- Glue gun
- White cardstock
- Thick wire 20" in length
- Thin wire 20" in length
- Chicken wire
- 7"x 7" glass beads
- Spray paint (silver)
- Wire cutters
How to make it:
Step 1: Card Pattern
- Trace and cut out heart shape pattern with both a piece of cardboard and a piece of white cardstock.
Step 2: Heart Design
- Glue white cardstock on top of cardboard heart with glue gun.
- Have an adult cut out a piece of chicken wire in the shape of the heart pattern.
- In a well-ventilated area, cover your work space with newspaper.
- Spray silver spray paint on the front and back of heart card. You can also spray paint the chicken wire if you like.
- Let the cardstock/cardboard and chicken wire dry.
Step 3: Wire Heart
- Create a heart-shaped frame with thick wire using the shape of cardboard heart.
- Twist bottom ends of heart-shaped wire frame together.
- Cut off extra leftover wire with wire cutters.
- Place the piece of chicken wire on top of wire heart frame.
- Twist wire ends of chicken wire onto the wire heart frame using pliers.
- Thread beads using thin wire and attach to heart made of chicken wire.
Step 4: Wire Bow
- Thread beads using thin wire.
- Create a series of 5" loops using thin wire for a bow.
- Wrap thin wire around center of bow to make a knot.
- Attach wire bow on top of heart.
- Pierce 5 holes spread along the edge on right side of heart-shaped cardboard card.
- Place chicken wire heart on top of cardboard heart and join both hearts together by threading thin wire through the holes and attaching them to the wire heart.
- You can replace spray paint with various colors of paint.
- Wire and wire cutters are very sharp. Have an adult help out or supervise using these materials.
- Always wear protective eyewear and gloves when cutting wire.
- Spray paint in a well-ventilated area, preferably outdoors. Make sure to wear old clothes and protective eyewear.
Claudine Casault is a craft developer living in Ontario, Canada.
• Funky Copper Heart Valentine’s Card
• Soda Can Pull-tab Buckle Card
• Heart Lollipop Valentine's Day Card
• Favorite Valentine's Day Cards
• Homemade Valentine's Cards
• Valentine's Day
• Valentine's Day Crafts
• Valentine's Recipes
• Valentine's Romance
• Valentine’s Coloring Pages