Wood Heart Santa Magnet
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
This cute little Santa will look great on your fridge this holiday season! Make several and you can give some away as gifts to Grandma, your teacher and even the mailman.
What you'll need:
- 2” wood heart
- Red and white felt
- 1 small white glitter pom pom
- 2-3 cotton balls
- Acrylic paint in flesh, pink, red, white and black
- Fine tip black marker
- Paint brush
- White craft glue
How to make it:
- Paint the wooden heart with flesh paint. You do not need to paint the back. Repeat for a second coat set aside to dry. When dry, use a paint brush or roughed up cotton swab to add cheeks with pink paint, use a dry brush method by dabbing off the excess paint onto a paper towel before applying to face. The point of the heart will be the top of the head.
- Carefully spread apart a cotton ball (they are basically rolled up cotton and can be unrolled). Glue a bit across the top of the head in a straight line for the hair line, and the rest around the face for the beard. Use more than one cotton ball if needed.
- Cut a sheet of red felt in half. Set aside one half for another project. From the other half, roll up the felt into a cone shape to make the hat, trim excess. Glue seams and tip together, then glue to opening of the hat to the pointed end of the wood heart, overlapping some of the hair line.
- Cut a strip of white felt, about half an inch wide, and glue onto the bottom of the red hat for the band.
- Glue pom pom to the tip of the hat.
- Use the handle end of a paint brush to dot on whites of eyes. Do not dot on black until white has dried.
- Use black marker to add eyebrows and mouth.
- Mix a tiny amount of red and pink to make a dark pink color and add the nose with the handle end of a paint brush. Make the shape oval by “drawing” it with the handle end.
- Dot on the blacks of the eyes. Let paint dry.
- When dry, glue the magnet to the back and let dry completely.
- If you don’t have flesh colored paint, add some white to your pink to make a lighter shade of pink and use that instead.
- Wooden hearts are available in many different sizes in your local craft supply store.
- To use this craft as an ornament instead of a magnet, simply glue a looped piece of ribbon to the back instead of the magnet.
More Holiday Fun