Yarn Balloon Egg
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 5 and up
This festive yarn egg balloon decoration is a jumbo version of a beautiful Easter egg, making it the perfect idea for an Easter celebration. Your family can make several to hang from different parts of the room!
What you'll need:
- 1 round balloon
- Fuzzy yarn in pastel colors (ours is multicolored)
- Measuring cup or small bowl to use as a stand
- White craft glue
- Large paintbrush
How to make it:
- Blow up balloon halfway. You just want it to resemble an egg shape, but not big enough that it might pop.
- Put about 3 tablespoons of white glue into a bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of water and mix. You want the mixture to be milky and paintable. Add water or glue to get the mixture to the right consistency. (See photo.)
- Cut a handful of yarn into 12 inch lengths.
Paint the top half of the balloon with glue mixture. Wrap the yarn pieces around the balloon in the shape of a circle. Continue, adding the pieces of yarn around the balloon until the circle is filled. (See photo.)
- Dip paintbrush into glue mixture and drip some glue over the yarn circles. This will help the yarn adhere to the balloon. (See photo.)
- Let this dry for several hours before continuing. You want the glue and yarn to begin to stick before doing the other side.
- Reposition the balloon so you can work bottom half. Repeat steps 4 and 5 on the remaining half. Let dry overnight, a full 12-15 hours is best.
- Tie a piece if yarn to the tied end of the balloon and hang from the ceiling.
- Dipping the strands of yarn into the glue mixture first will work for thinner types of yarn. In our case, our yarn was too thick and the weight of the liquid, even after squeezing out the excess, made the yarn too heavy and it slid right off the balloon.
- Do not try to pop the balloon after drying this project. The balloon is meant to stay blown up. The position of the yarn strands do not cross each other and therefore will most likely collapse should you pop the balloon.
- Balloons can be purchased at the dollar store or discount department store in the party aisle.