Yarn Cross Ornament
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 6 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Celebrate your faith on Christmas by hanging this lovely cross on your tree. This ornament is easy to make and pretty to look at.
What you'll need:
- 2 regular craft sticks
- White yarn
- Christmas themed or colored ribbon
- White craft glue
- Yarn or ribbon for hanger
- Faux berries (optional)
How to make it:
- Cut one of the regular craft sticks in half. Cut half an inch off of each end of the other craft stick, and then discard the cut ends.
- Glue the craft sticks together to form a cross. Allow to dry.
- Line the shorter (horizontal) craft stick with glue and wrap with yarn. Yarn should be running from left to right around the stick. After stick is covered with yarn (about 3-4 wraps), wrap the yarn around the intersection of the two sticks.
- Line the long (vertical) stick with glue and wrap the yarn around the stick (horizontally), wrapping around the long stick until covered. Wrap the yarn around the intersection of the craft sticks several times to form a strong cross. Continue to wrap yarn vertically around the length of the shorter craft stick.
- Cut the yarn at the back of the cross and glue in place. Add a generous amount of glue to all four ends of the cross to reinforce the yarn at ends. Allow to dry completely.
- Tie ribbon into a bow and glue to the front intersection of the cross. If you like, add a few faux berries below the bow. Allow to dry completely.
- Turn cross over and glue a piece of looped ribbon to the back for the hanger. Let dry completely.
- Every ten to fifteen minutes, lift the cross to be sure it isn’t sticking to the table or work surface. Putting a piece of wax paper underneath it might help.
- Buy ribbon whenever it goes on sale and keep in a storage container for later use.
- Craft sticks can be purchased in large boxes or you can save sticks from your kids’ ice cream bars.