"Yes We Can" Can
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Yes we can… change the world, find cures for diseases, or feed the hungry. This craft is inspired by Barack Obama's famous 2008 presidential campaign phrase, "Yes we can." Kids can add coins to this can to save money for their favorite cause or charity to make Earth a better place.
What you'll need:
- Empty vegetable can
- 1 sheet of white construction paper
- ½ sheet of felt (we used red)
- 1 chenille stem (we used white)
- Red and blue paint, markers, or crayons
- Assortment of colored glitter pens
- White craft glue
- 2” wide strip of yellow or gold felt, enough to go around your can (optional)
- White acrylic paint (optional)
Red glitter glue (optional)
How to make it:
- Measure the width of the can and cut out a strip of construction paper that will cover the entire width of the can.
- Write the phrase "Yes We Can" across the piece of construction paper. Decorate the rest of the paper using paint, markers, and glitter.
- Trace round bottom of can on to a piece of scrap paper.
- Cut out the circle you just traced on the scrap paper. Place it on to the felt. Either hold it in place with your fingers or use a safety pin to attach it. Use scissors to cut around the circle, leaving a 1” border. You should now have a large felt circle.
- Fold the felt circle in half. Using the scissors, cut a slit in the middle. Open up the half circle.
- Place the felt circle on top of the can and secure with the chenille stem, wrapping a couple of times to tighten. Do not glue!
- When glitter glue on the paper is dry, glue the “Yes We Can” band around the can. (See image.)
- You can create this craft a little differently using white paint and a piece of felt. First paint the outside of the can with the white paint. Let dry. Then take the optional piece of felt and decorate it with the phrase "Yes We Can" using the optional red glitter glue. When glitter is completely dry, attach the felt to the can using glue. (See image.)
- Discuss with kids what “Yes We Can” means to them and to you.
- Change out the colors if you don’t have the ones that we suggest. We chose a patriotic theme but you can pick whatever colors you like. If you are saving for breast cancer research, use a pink theme, and so on.
- Keep this can in a heavily trafficked area of your house to remind everyone in the family of the cause you are supporting.